Getting asked to be a bridesmaid or a maid of honour is definitely a cause for celebration (get that prosecco popped stat!).
And whilst you'll undoubtedly have a blast, there are a few things you need to know before you dive on in.
Things Every Bridesmaid Really Should Know...
- 1First of all, you're probably going to have to wear a dress you don't like. You may as well get used to that idea now. If you have low expectations to begin with, you can only be pleasantly surprised!
- 2No matter how much you pray to the wedding seating gods, you will end up on a table of weirdos.
- 3A free bar isn't always guaranteed.
- 4You will be expected to be one of the first on the dance floor to kickstart the party. A few glasses of something fizzy should help!
- 5The bride will have the odd bridezilla moment. That doesn't make her a bad person, that makes her a nervous bride, so try not to take it personally.
- 6Ancient wedding custom dictates that there should be one inappropriate uncle at every wedding reception. Sod's law dictates that you'll end up sitting next to him.
- 7You probably will be roped into the hen party planning… remove the stress and ensure it's truly memorable with the help of GoHen!
- 8The bride might have a few wobbles and worries along the way, so keep your fridge stocked with emergency wine just in case!
- 9When they say, "Does anyone know of any reason why these two should not be wed..." You will get the urge to shout something crazy out.
- 10Someone will get drunk and make a t*t of themselves at the wedding reception. Don't let it be you.
So, there you have it.
Everything you didn't know you needed to know about being a bridesmaid.
It won't prevent you from being dressed in a disgusting dress or from having to dance the Macarena, but it is a wedding, the happiest day of someone's life, and despite any worries, any day filled with that much love will be fantastic.