Grab a hen do bargain, amazing packages starting from £50pp Hen Deals >

If you're heading overseas on your hen party, then make sure you have completed everything on the pre-packing checklist and returned your wine glass to the upright position before takeoff! In case of emergency, the corkscrews and bottle openers are situated, here, here and here...

On a slightly more serious note, if you are heading away for your hen weekend, then there are a few extra bits and pieces to take into consideration. So here's our pre-party checklist of details to ensure you are fully prepared for a hen-tastic weekend away with the girls.

Airport Security

No one likes to get through the big metal doorway only to find and have someone rifling through their perfectly packed luggage. Make sure you know exactly what you can and can't travel with.

  • Electronic Devices - They must be seen to be working by security officers so ensure they are fully charged (this includes mobile phones). If you can't switch it on, then you won't be permitted to take it with you.
  • Liquids - Liquids cannot be transported in anything larger than 100ml containers that measure more than 20cm x 20cm. The containers must be placed in a re-sealable plastic bag with just one allowed per person (medicines are exempt - wine is not considered a medicine).
  • Cigarette lighters - Each passenger is only allowed to carry a single lighter. Again this must be placed in a re-sealable plastic bag and kept on your person at all times (not in hand luggage).
  • Sharp Objects - Nail clippers, nail scissors and corkscrews are all potentially lethal and must travel in the hold.
  • Razors - Fixed cartridge razors are permitted but must be stored in hand luggage.
  • Duty Free - When travelling back from EU countries, you can bring in an unlimited amount for "personal use". This does mean it must be a sensible amount that one person might use/consume.
    - Outside the EU duty-free restrictions apply - 200 cigarettes, 4 litres of still wine, 1 litre of spirits, 16 litres of beer, up to £390 worth of all other goods. For up-to-date info, check out the latest government advice here.
  • Luggage Allowance – Check with your airline before travelling for weight and size allowances on luggage.


There really is nothing worse than turning up at the airport only to find one of your party's passport is out of date (and sadly this does happen). Make sure all the girls check their passports well ahead of time.
Also, different nationals will have different travel restrictions or permits so if you have any non-UK passport holders among the hens, ask them to check their own visa requirements in case they differ from the rest of the party.

Travelling to Europe After Brexit

Thankfully, travelling to Europe after Brexit won't impact your hen celebrations so long as the following is adhered to. You will be allowed to travel to EU countries and stay for up to 90 days in a 180-day period (as well as to Iceland, Norway and Switzerland).

If you visit Croatia, Cyprus, Romania or Bulgaria, trips to other countries in the EU will not count to your 90-day total. For more info, visit the gov website.

Travel Money

We always advise you to check exchange rates before you travel. In some cases, it can actually be cheaper to exchange money overseas using banking cashpoints. Remember, if you are using credit cards, there might be added fees. Also credit card payments to local suppliers in foreign countries may not be protected.

If you are exchanging money overseas only ever use recognised banks or agencies.

Changing money at the airport is not the best idea as their rates are often sky-high. The Post Office still offer one of the most competitive rates on the high street if you're exchanging before you travel.

European & Global Health Insurance Cards (EHIC/GHIC)

European Health Insurance Cards will remain valid after Brexit if you're visiting an EU country and entitle you to heavily discounted or even free medical treatment. If you don't have a valid EHIC, you can apply for a Global Health Insurance Card which also allows you the right to state-provided healthcare in the EU.

Medical Emergencies

If for any reason you find yourself needing emergency medical assistance:

  • Enquire about on-site emergency first aid
  • Call emergency services (ask for an English speaking representative)

Should you require any further assistance after that, then you can contact us any time via our emergency out of hours number which is manned 24 hours a day – 07590 296246.

Useful links

Booking Local Services

Always do this through a trusted source. We, of course, would recommend that you organise all your travel requirements through Not only because we'll do a fantastic job for you, but we'll also save you time during your weekend by having everything organised in advance. However you travel, always think practically and be aware of the risks, use recognised licensed taxis and public transport.

Special Travel Requirements

If you have any special travel requirements, please let us know as far in advance as possible. We work hard to tailor all our weekends to suit each individual hen party.

To check for details of any destinations you might be planning to visit in the near future, check out the foreign office advice page.

You May Also Like...

As mentioned in

Travel Safety & Advice

For information on staying safe and healthy while travelling abroad as well as local laws and latest government advice on destinations visit the FCO Travel Aware website.