Nobody likes discussing who pays for what! Even less so when it’s in relation to a hen do, a time for partying, celebrating and giving the bride an unforgettable send-off. But there’s just so much to consider when it comes to the financial side of things…
- Do the bridesmaids pay for everything?
- Do all the guests pay for themselves?
- Does everyone cover the cost of the bride’s place?
- Does the bride pay for herself?
… What a minefield!
OK, don’t sigh, we know that’s not particularly helpful, but hear us out! There are a variety of different factors which dictates who pays for what, so here are are a few scenarios and useful tips so you can figure out what’s best for you.
The General Etiquette
Whilst there’s no hard and fast rule, tradition dictates that the bridesmaids and the other attendees cover the cost of the bride’s place on her hen weekend.
- Cost – If the cost is astronomical, some hens may not be able to afford the extra expense, so you’ll need to gauge the situation appropriately
- The Bride Insists On Paying – The bride may insist on paying for herself. If that’s the case, you and the girls could club together for a little something extra or cover the cost of her drinks for an evening/the weekend
- Wedding Gift – You and the girls could pay for her as a wedding present, that way you wouldn’t need to fork out for two separate things
Splitting The Cost
OK, let’s face it, nobody wants to pay more than they have to, and splitting the cost of the bride’s place between the rest of the girls might seem like it’ll make the price per person skyrocket!
But actually, in 2019, the average price of a hen do was £147 per person and the average group size was 14, which means if you were to spread the cost of the bride’s place amongst the rest of the girls, it would only cost you an extra… wait for it… drumroll… further pause for added suspense… £11.30 each!
Not too much in the grand scheme of things! So, for the majority of you, splitting the cost of the bride’s place wouldn’t set you back an awful lot!
The Plan of Action
Speak to the girls and decide what you think would be the best option for your group. If the bride has made noises about paying for herself, you could discuss it with her some more. If not, think about the price and associated cost and make a decision which works for everyone.
Collecting the Money
Whilst discussing who pays for what can be awkward, chasing people up for money can be even worse! Take the hassle, stress and uncomfortable text exchanges out of proceedings by booking with GoHen. With our easy to use individual payment system, all the girls login and pay us directly in their own time, so you won’t have the responsibility of chasing payments or looking after a substantial amount of money!
Arranging the Hen Do
Once you’ve worked out who’s going to be paying for what, it’s probably time you started organising the thing! With GoHen, you can book the biggest and best selection of activities and nightlife options in the business without any of the hassle and stress of trying to arrange it solo. Simply tell us the sort of thing you’re looking for and we’ll help you create an incredible event you’ll all be talking about for years to come.
Got your own thoughts on paying for the hen? Let us know in the comments below or over on our Facebook page 🙂