You have a wall covered in mood boards, enough box files to build a wedding venue and are surviving on a diet of bridal magazines and pure wedding planning adrenaline. But are those glossy pages really giving you the whole truth about getting hitched?
It’s time to look at the big (day) picture and the things that every bride should really know about her special day.
- 1You might have been mentally planning this day since you were five years old but don't forget, it is the groom's day too and not all his ideas are daft (unless he utters the words "How about a themed wedding?" in which case you can ignore everything else he says until after the honeymoon).
- 2It will get a little stressful at times but nobody likes a bridezilla, if you find your hubby-to-be hiding inside a wardrobe, shaking and clutching his lucky football scarf for comfort, you might have gone too far.
- 3Every time a wedding supplier quotes a price, future hubby will go into meltdown. That's his job, he's not trying to stop your dream wedding. He has to be the (fiscal) ying to your (free spending) yang, that's how marriage works.
- 4It won't all be perfect. There, we've said it. It's the hardest thing to accept but your dream wedding might simply not be possible. But what you actually end up with could be even better, be prepared to be flexible on some details and you'll be amazed at the unexpected/fab alternatives that crop up.
- 5Yes, you're in love, yes you want to spend the rest of your lives together, but there will be times during the wedding planning that you want to kill each other. It's all just part of the fun!
- 6Good news, everyone is going to buy you a present! Bad news, you're going to have to buy them dinner first.
- 7The average wedding costs just slightly more than the national health service. But it's not a competition. Pick a budget that works for you, not that competes with William and Kate.
- 8The bridesmaids are too scared to tell you they don't like their dresses, so think to yourself, would I wear that? It's best to keep everyone happy as much as possible.
- 9What is the single most important aspect of the wedding? Having the right people there, marrying the man you love, seeing a moat filled with pink swans as Ed Sheeran sings "Shape of You" from a passing hot air balloon… Whatever it is, keep that central at all times, the rest is simply dressing.
- 10No matter how much money you save, it'll still be slightly less than you need for your 'dream wedding'. #MurphysWeddingLaw.
- 11The only hymns anyone can ever remember are the ones they sang at school assembly.
- 12When the officiant says "…until death do you part..." you can't say "Can I bring him back if I keep the receipt?"
- 13There will be dad dancing. It will be hilarious and potentially harmful to small children.
- 14You can't have a wedding without cheesy music. No one is too cool for school when it comes to a wedding disco.
- 15Someone will get drunk at the wedding reception. Don't let it be you.
- 16Not everyone has a stressful build-up to the wedding. It's a popular wedding cliché that movies love, but in reality lots of couples have great fun planning the wedding without any major dramas.
- 17No matter what the build-up feels like, this will be the happiest day of your life so remember to take time and enjoy all of it, including the planning.
There you have it, 17 things every bride should know. We’re not going to pretend it’s the most fact-based advice you are ever going to receive but it is full of the things that other people won’t want to say. The most important thing you should know is that it will be amazing. So, sing like the wedding band is listening, dance like the disco has just put on an Abba megamix and laugh… Because it’s going to be the happiest day of your life.
Free Hen Party Downloads!
Pop your email address below to instantly get
a FREE PDF of games, dares & extras...
Share with the girls!